Inspired by a few great meals we’ve had lately, I just had to share these two recipes as my Kitchen Tip for today!
My darling hubby came up with this scrumptious and oh-so-simple recipe for quick, sauteed mushrooms (sorry, I had a picture, but it has disappeared into the vast unknown regions of my highly disorganized digital photos).
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce, Tamari, etc.)
- Real maple syrup
- Wash and chop a pound of fresh mushrooms (we usually use button, but I bet other varieties would taste good as well)
- Add butter to a frying pan, and start sauteing the mushrooms on medium heat.
- When the mushrooms start to soften, add a good long squirt of Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce, tamari, etc.) and a drizzle (maybe a tsp. or two?) of real maple syrup.
- Saute just a few moments longer, until the mushrooms are soft and fully cooked, and the smell is so unbelievably good that you just can't wait a minute longer to eat them! Mmm... my favorite way to eat mushrooms.
Courses Side Dish
This is a simple, skeleton of a recipe that we eat often, especially in the summer. It’s great because there are many variations, but it is also quick, healthy and tasty.
Begin with as many of these ingredients as possible:
- Organic corn chips (organic is important, because corn is almost always GMO as well as extremely sprayed)
- Ground beef (or turkey or chicken or even lamb), cooked with Mexican style spices, such as cumin, paprika, garlic, onion, chili pepper, etc.
- Cooked beans (such as pinto, kidney, black)
- Chopped Lettuce (romaine is nice, as it is so crisp)
- Salsa (if I don't have time to make this, I will just use diced tomatoes)
- Ripe avacados (or even better, turned into guacamole)
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Any other chopped veggies you'd like- mushrooms, peppers, onions, etc.
I layer everything together in this order:
- Crumble a couple handfuls tortilla chips on individual plates
- Add cooked meat and/or beans
- Add lettuce and any other veggies
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Top with salsa, guac and sour cream
Courses Main Course
Not only does it taste amazing and fresh, it looks pretty too! This is such a kid friendly meal as well, with all the taco goodness in it, so no one will even notice that it’s a salad!