Summer will officially arrive soon, and we simply cannot wait! In anticipation of “no more pencils, no more books” … we’ve already dusted off the ice cream maker and of course, our ice pop molds.
That’s because making homemade frozen treats is one of my family’s favorite summertime traditions. In fact, the ice cream man has given up on visiting our neighborhood since my boys and I whip up a never-ending supply of delicious ice pops and other frozen concoctions that keep us (and their friends) well supplied. Besides, making your own frozen treats isn’t just FUN – it’s economical and healthier too!
The good news is, you really don’t have to invest in a fancy ice cream maker or even ice pop molds to enjoy a refreshing frozen treat. One of our favorite super-duper easy frozen treats are these incredible frozen banana bites from my FREE “Healthy Ice Pops & Frozen Treats” eBook.
Made with fresh banana slices, a dab of nut butter and homemade chocolate hard shell, these little bite-sized gems take only minutes to make and seconds to eat. (Warning: It’s impossible to eat just one!)
How to Make Frozen Banana Bites
Peel and cut 3 to 4 large bananas into thick slices. Add a dab of nut butter (or sunflower seed butter) to the center to create a banana nut butter sandwich. Then, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Once you’ve finished assembling your banana sandwiches, place the baking sheet in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours, until the banana sandwiches are frozen solid.
Make homemade chocolate hard shell, following the recipe below. Allow it to cool on the counter while your banana sandwiches are freezing. Go do something fun while you wait, like make some more ice pops – here are a few great recipes that will definitely keep that ice cream man at bay.
Once your banana sandwiches are frozen, place a toothpick into the center and use it to dip them into the homemade chocolate hard shell. Hold the frozen banana bite over the dish to allow the excess chocolate to run off. Then transfer back to the parchment lined sheet to finish hardening.
Enjoy! You can gobble up your frozen banana bites right away, or save them for later. If you opt to save them for later, place the baking sheet full of chocolate-dipped banana bites back into the freezer. Once they’re frozen solid, you can transfer them to a freezer safe container. Be sure to remove the toothpicks if serving to small children.
Homemade Chocolate Hard Shell
Recipe courtesy of the “Healthy Ice Pops & Frozen Treats“ eBook
• 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet, fair-trade chocolate chips
• 1/3 cup coconut oil
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil and chocolate chips, while stirring constantly.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
3. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a small glass dish. If using the chocolate hard shell for dipping fruit, be sure that the dish is deep enough to allow you to completely cover the fruit.
4. Allow the chocolate to cool to room temperature before using, then dip away and enjoy!
Looking for more delicious ways to use this easy and scrumptious chocolate hard shell topping?
• Drizzle it on top of homemade vanilla ice cream or homemade custard and top with nuts for a yummy ice cream parfait.
• Or drizzle it on top of a luscious ice cream concoction like strawberry goat cheese ice cream and top with sliced strawberries.
• Use it as a decadent fruit dip for your favorite summertime party trays.
• Or go ultra-fancy and make irresistible Blackberry Bon Bons.
And … you can discover even more fun ways we use homemade chocolate hard shell to create a whole host of frozen ice pop treats by grabbing your free copy of “Healthy Ice Pops & Frozen Treats.” Have a happy & delicious summer!