By Hilary Bernstein, Contributing Writer
I’ve never been a fan of medications. Over the counter or prescribed … it doesn’t matter. After being prescribed antibiotics for a good two years of my childhood – and developing severe allergic reactions to them – I’ve preferred treating myself and my family with home remedies when sickness strikes.
Since it’s prime time for seasonal sicknesses, here’s how I cure coughs naturally:
Every time my children start coughing, I pull out my bottle of eucalyptus essential oil. (Make sure it’s Eucalyptus Smithii. Other varieties of eucalyptus oil are quite harmful to children.) At bedtime, I mix a splash of olive oil with a half dozen dashes of Eucalyptus Smithii essential oil, then massage the liquid onto the soles of my cougher’s feet. If I have extra oil left, I’ll also massage it into my son’s or daughter’s chest. I cover their feet with socks and tuck them into bed. Typically their coughs improve by the morning, and after a second night of eucalyptus oil treatment, their coughs disappear. It’s easy, economical, and safe.
[Tweet “Did you know that fresh pineapple juice is 5x more effective than cough syrup?”] Fresh pineapple juice is so powerful at suppressing coughs thanks to bromelain, an enzyme that is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial.
In case you need to treat other ailments, check out these 30 home remedies:
Boosting immune systems and preventing sickness
- DIY Immune Boosting Herbal Tea on Intoxicated On Life
- Preventing Sickness the Natural Way on Accidentally Green
- Want to Stay Healthy? Bring On the Heat on Whole Intentions
- Boost Your Immune System with This Herbal Vitamin C Syrup on Growing Up Herbal
- DIY Disinfecting Citrus Mint Hand Sanitizer on Growing Up Herbal
- Preventing Colds with Towels on Accidentally Green
- Winter Wellness Elixir on Simply Smiles
- Teach Your Child To Wash Their Hands Properly Using “Glitter Germs” on Growing Up Herbal
- Build Your Child’s Immune System with An Immune Boosting Tincture on Growing Up Herbal
- Why We Take Cod Liver Oil on Real Food Eater
- 6 Ways to Use On Guard Essential Oil to Combat Cold & Flu on More Than Mundane
Treating colds and flus
- Elderberry Syrup: A Natural Cold/Flu Remedy on Real Food Eater
- 7 Easy, Natural Cold and Flu Remedies on Growing Up Triplets
- 10 Cold and Flu Remedies on Beauty in the Mess
- Can Raw, Sliced Onions Cure a Cold? on Accidentally Green
- DIY Vapo-Rub on More Than Mundane
- DIY Sinus and Anti-Inflammatory Essential Oil Blend on Intoxicated On Life
- How to Naturally Soothe Colds on Accidentally Green
- What I Do When My Tiny Gets Sick on Hybrid Rasta Mama
- Herbs and Children – Teas that Soothe and Heal on Hybrid Rasta Mama
- The Cold and Flu Zapper (Natural Cold Remedy) on Life Made Full
- Homemade Decongestant on Titus 2 Homemaker
- How to Use a Steam Vaporizer for Cough & Congestion on Growing Up Herbal
- Learn How You Can Treat Your Child’s Fevers Naturally on Growing Up Herbal
- Get a Head Start When Treating Fevers Naturally on Growing Up Herbal
- Herbs and Children – Fever Support on Hybrid Rasta Mama
Treating coughs and sore throats
- 10 Must-Have Ingredients to Help with Your Kid’s Cough on Growing Up Herbal
- How to Help Your Child Manage a Sore Throat on Growing Up Herbal
- On Guard Throat Spray and Hand Sanitizer on VirginiaGeorge.com
- Herbs and Children – Treating Coughs Naturally on Hybrid Rasta Mama
How do you cure coughs – or other sicknesses – naturally?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. When you buy through our links, we earn a small commission, which helps keep this site going so we can continue to offer free and useful content, so thanks!
This post is sponsored by Tyndale Rewards. Do you love FREE books & Bibles? Tyndale Rewards is a quick and easy way to earn points that you can redeem for great titles from Tyndale House Publishers. Join today and earn towards some great Christmas gifts!