Fall is a wonderful time to make desserts with ingredients that are only fresh this time of year. Cranberries and apples are perfectly ripe and so very tasty in season. Don’t you just love them?
This Cranberry, Apple and Walnut Cake makes good use of Fall’s bounty. It is full of fruit and bursting with flavor (the cranberries add a nice tang which is balanced by the sweetness of apples).
Using real food ingredients, this recipe provides a treat that is relatively healthy and nutritious. Serve alone or with a dollop of cream.
Cranberry, Apple and Walnut Cake Recipe
- 1 ¾ cups sucanat
- ½ cup oil I use melted coconut oil or safflower oil
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour or a combination of the two
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups diced apples
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ½ pound fresh or frozen whole raw cranberries
- Beat the oil and sucanat together until creamy.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl then sift into the wet ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- At this point it seems there is more fruit than batter, and there might be! Don’t worry, it will work out in the end.
- Transfer the fruited batter into a well-greased, 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Press the batter into place so it is spread fairly evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
I love the rustic look of this cake! It has such a warm, cozy, homemade feel.
What are you favorite desserts to make with Fall produce?