Conventional household cleaners = money and toxins down the drain.
Nowadays, consumers literally throw money down the drain with the industry’s household cleaners that really don’t even get the job done. But that’s not the most serious consequence of using conventional cleaning products. Of course, I refer to the hundreds of toxins that are present in those products that cause damage to our bodies and to the environment.
A better, cheaper, safer alternative
With those considerations in mind, after a little experimenting, I came up with a recipe for a safe, effective and inexpensive alternative to the supermarket’s offerings for sink cleansers. This gentle and easy 4-Way Soft-Scrubber has become one of my very favorite sanitizers. I cannot imagine going back to the chlorinated cleanser that I had used for most of my married life.
You should find this cleanser easy and inexpensive to make. It smells good, cleans effectively and is perfectly safe to use. And then, you may just feel rejuvenated with its wonderful fragrance. Guaranteed, you will no longer be throwing money down the drain!
This scrub works 4 ways: the baking soda provides gentle grit power and deodorizes; the essential oil or GSE disinfects; and the detergent cleans, helping the baking soda to strip away grease, stains and debris.
Print the following recipe information and adhere the label to an appropriate sized container with clear packing tape so you and/or other family members will always know how to mix up more when needed.
Better, Cheaper, Safer 4-Way Soft-Scrubber
- 2 to 3-cup food storage container
- 1 1/2 cups baking soda (more or less as needed)
- 1/2 cup environmentally safe liquid laundry detergent or soap (i.e., Trader Joe’s Next to Godliness or Costco’s Ecos are several; or use your own homemade liquid laundry soap)
- Optional: Add 10 drops of GSE (Grapefruit seed extract) for additional disinfecting power (or use 10 drops of tea tree or lavender or rosemary essential oil for the same effect)
- To Make: Place 1/2 cup laundry detergent in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup baking soda and stir to combine (or use a rotary beater to quickly combine). Keep adding baking soda until mixture is the consistency of cake frosting. If needed, add a little water to achieve the right consistency. Transfer mixture to container. Keep container tightly closed. If mixture begins to dry, add in a little water and stir.
- To use: Scoop out a little soft scrub onto a clean, damp rag. Scrub sink and faucets. Rinse. Use a clean dry cloth to dry and shine the sink and chrome faucets to a sparkling gleam.
- Use on any porcelain surface including the toilet.
- Removes tarnish from silver.
- Cleans stainless steel sinks beautifully.
- Removes water stains from faucets.
- Removes various stains from crock wear and pots and pans.
- Removes caffeine stains from drinking cups.
- Counter-tops and even tile grout clean up nicely.
- Cleans the stove top of baked-on grease (heat burner for a few minutes to soften grease, then carefully clean using a thick cloth to avoid burns).
Why not mix up a batch of 4-Way Soft-Scrubber, try it out and then come back and leave a comment? Tell me what you think.
Or, do you have a favorite soft scrub recipe of your own? Care to share?