9 Reasons Why You Need a Healthy Gut
Do you find yourself feeling exhausted, tired, moody, disconnected, and overall unhealthy? We can help you navigate the why to your feeling this way (hint: it has something to do with your gut).
Did you know that 80% of your immune system is in your gut?
Hypocrates said, “All disease begins in the gut.” But often when I talk with people about gut issues such as a Leaky Gut, they think ‘oh gross’ and blow it off. They fail to realize just how important this conversation is.
Whether or not you have Leaky Gut, the latest term for gut issues, isn’t the question. The real question is at what level do you have Leaky Gut. For additional resources on Leaky Gut, check out this Keeper gut post!
A healthy gut can change your entire life inside and outside of the body. In order to get a healthy gut, you’ll need to change your lifestyle (and diet) by:
- removing food toxins from your body,
- eating plenty of fermentable fibers (think sweet potatoes),
- eating fermented foods (think yogurt),
- treating any intestinal pathogens, like parasites (Think: Probiotic),
- and managing your stress (think yoga).
To learn more about how to detox your body, check out this awesome Keeper post (we are big fans of dry-brushing)!
Now that you know how important your gut is to your health, you can follow this (how-you-should-feel) guide to help you get started on your way to optimal health and feeling fabulous.
Reasons why a healthy gut will make your life better:
1. You will have less digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhoea, or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). (Think: Feel comfy in your own skin.)
2. You will feel less fatigued and decrease your chances of experiencing fibromyalgia. (Think: More energy to.do.you.)
3. You will have less mood swings and symptoms due to hormonal imbalances such as PMS or PCOS. (Think: Good mood during that time of the month.)
4. You will have less seasonal allergies or asthma. (Think: No more tissues and you can breathe again.)
5. You will feel less depressed, have less anxiety-related issues, and decrease your risks for ADD or ADHD. (Think: Happy while focused & in-tune.)
5. You will have less skin issues such as acne, rosacea, or eczema (Think: Glowing skin and complexion.)
6. You will stop getting diagnosed with candida overgrowth. (Think: No more yeast infections or migraines.)
7. You will have less food allergies or food intolerances. (Think: Still get to enjoy your favorite foods without feeling terrible afterwards.)
8. You will lessen your risk of getting rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, lupus, psoriasis, or celiac disease. (Think: Feel amazing and be able to keep up with your world around you.)
9. You will stop gaining weight and start losing weight! (Think: Cute clothes on date night.)
We don’t know about you, but we’re all about having less mood swings, having more energy, and living a longer life. Let’s take care of our gut (aka: “Our second brain”) and get back to our true selves.
Keeper Tip: Try changing one thing at a time to check whether it’s improving your health. Stephanie started with transitioning to a gluten-free diet, which you can read more about her story here (it totally works!).
WOW!! I didn’t know so much of your immune system stemmed from the gut! I’ve been learning lots about the gut and gut flora lately, and it’s actually pretty incredible how important a healthy gut really is! It affects everything!!
Thanks so much for sharing <3
There’s lots to learn, that’s for sure! 🙂
My baby is a month and a half old. What can I give her to strengthen her gut and when can I start? Thank you!