50 Christmas Morning Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Christmas is my favorite day the year. I’m a stickler for tradition on Christmas Day.
Each year, my boys and I wake up in the darkness of the early morning. I put on a pot of coffee while the boys take turns jumping on dad, screaming that it’s time to wake up. As a family we sit in a circle, hand-in-hand, in the living room while Dad leads us in prayer. We thank God for the gift of his Son and for every blessing that he’s given us in the year.
Before the boys can open any gifts, they know that mama needs to be holding a piping hot cup of coffee to sip on.
One by one, the boys take turns opening their presents. Joy and happiness illuminates our home. Well, that and a few scoldings as there’s always bound to be something the boys argue about. 😉
Soon after opening gifts, as a family, we eat a hearty breakfast. It’s my absolute favorite part of the day. There’s nothing that makes me happier than feeding my family a hearty breakfast in a house that’s bursting with love.
I usually make a chorizo, egg, and potato casserole that tastes heavenly with a side of bacon, and a fresh squeezed orange juice.
Hands down, breakfast on Christmas morning is my favorite meal of the year.
To spread the joy and love, I decided to post a round-up of 50, real food, breakfast/brunch ideas from around the web.
10 Breakfast Casserole Recipes
- Bacon, Tomato, and Cheddar Breakfast Bake – Deliciously Organic
- Overnight Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole – The Encouraging Home
- Apple Oat Casserole – GNOWFGLINS
- Easy, Cheesy, Gluten-Free Ham and Potato Strata – Riddlelove
- Nourishing Wife-Saver Breakfast Casserole – Keeper of the Home
- Overnight French Toast Breakfast Casserole – Simplify, Live, Love
- Whole Wheat, Green Onion, and Prosciutto Tart – Spain in Iowa
- Baked Egg Breakfast Casserole with Mushrooms, Spinach, and Salsa – Cookin’ Canuck
- Ham and Cheese Egg Casserole – Closet Cooking
- Savory Sweet Potatoes with Bacon and Swiss – Food Renegade
10 Egg Recipes
- Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash with Eggs – Food for my Family
- Frittata with Wild Onion, Potato, Goat Cheese, and Thyme – Foy Update
- Southwestern Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe with Eggs, Black Beans & Salsa – Cookin’ Canuck
- Southwestern Egg Scramble – Nourishing Days
- Heirloom Tomato and Tomatillo Tart – Spain in Iowa
- A Crustless Sausage and Spinach Quiche – Spain in Iowa
- Spinach and Bacon Oven Omelette – Riddlelove
- Huevos a la Mexicana (GF) – The Nourishing Home
- Herbed Baked Eggs – The Nourishing Gourmet
10 Pancake/Waffle/French Toast Recipes
- Pumpkin Spice Pancakes – Keeper of the Home
- Sourdough Blueberry Pancakes – Spain in Iowa
- Double Chocolate Velvet Pancakes – Just Making Noise
- Apple and Spice Dutch Baby Pancake – Nourished Kitchen
- Coconut Flour Waffles – Deliciously Organic
- Caramel & Sea Salt Pear Pancake Recipe – Cookin’ Canuck
- Apple Pie French Toast Bake – Food for my Family
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes – Health, Home & Happiness
- Coconut Banana Pancakes (gluten free) – Healthy Green Kitchen
- Buckwheat Pancakes (gluten free) – Whole New Mom
10 Oatmeal/Porridge Recipes
- Toasted, Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal – Spain in Iowa
- Baked Oatmeal Cake – Whole New Mom
- Spiced Cranberry Apple Baked Oatmeal – Just Making Noise
- Hot Cereal Three Ways – Foy Update
- 4-Grain Breakfast Porridge – GNOWFGLINS
- Breakfast Millet with Prunes – Healthy Green Kitchen
- Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal – Spain in Iowa
- Soaked Oatmeal Porridge – Nourishing Days
- Brown Butter Toasted-Oatmeal with Roasted Pears – Simple Bites
10 Baked Goods Recipes
- Coconut Custard Cake – Just Making Noise
- Molasses Cranberry Cinnamon Rolls – Nourished Kitchen
- Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake – Riddlelove
- Spiced Brunch Cake – Pocket Pause
- Pop Tarts – Two Ways – Whole Wheat or Gluten-Free – Deliciously Organic
- Spiced Pumpkin Granola with Cashews and Cranberries – Healthy Green Kitchen
- Naturally Sweetened, Whole Wheat, Oatmeal Jam Bars – Spain in Iowa
- Oat Bran Muffins – Whole New Mom
Thank you for all these recipes! I may not have time to look at them all right now but I am thankful to have these at my fingertips when needed.
I do not have a favorite recipe to make for Christmas morning but it usually consists of cinnamon rolls and quiche. Now that I am on a gluten free diet it might be scrambled eggs with veggies or pancakes. It is right around the corner so I better decide soon!! Merry Christmas!
Great list! I’ve pinned several. 🙂 Thanks, Diana!
Thank you for the mini-cookbook here! I’m looking for your Chorizo, Egg and Potato Casserole that you mentioned at the top. Wanna share? : )
Natalie, I’ll have to post it SOON! Really, just a mix of cut potatoes, Mexican chorizo sausage, potatoes, cheese, green peppers, and onions. SO nommy!!!
I usually make an egg nog coffee cake for my hubby and then whatever the kids request. This year they want pigs in a blanket… yep the small little hot dog things in canned crescent rolls. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to do it healthier. They only have them maybe twice a year at family functions/parties so I may just go with it.
I’d love the Chorizo, Egg, and Potato casserole recipe as well!
Thanks so much for the shout-out, Diana! I hope you and your family have a very blessed CHRISTmas and New Year! Blessings, Kelly
To you to, Kelly! I love your recipes 😀
Wow, something for everyone…except maybe the dog. This looks fantastic! Thanks!
We have a breakfast casserole that we use–good and healthy, just in case we happen to overdose on chocolate later. 😉
Overdosing on chocolate… sounds good!! Merry Christmas!
This is a fantastic compilation. I’ve already shared it twice this morning! I have a question for you or other readers…my son is allergic to egg – has anyone successfully adapted a “baked” recipe without eggs? (Not quiches, obviously…I’m thinking the french toast bakes, oat casseroles, etc.) I know you can buy egg substitutes, but they’re expensive and devoid of anything nutritional. Long shot, but thought I’d ask what others use! Thanks again for a terrific post.
I’ve heard you can use chia seeds as a replacement for at least a few eggs…
Jessica, that’s a good question. I would try to substitute 2 tbs of arrowroot powder for the eggs in the casseroles or oatmeal. You can also try to substitute about half a mashed banana with a tsp of baking powder. Hope that helps!
Love this list! I’m totally inspired to find something new to make this year. Christmas breakfast is definitely one of my favorite things to make and eat, and like you, hot coffee in hand. Maybe with some whipped cream. There might even be dark chocolate from stockings that gets devoured before we even hit the breakfast table. 🙂
Yeah… I’m foreseeing some chocolate as well. That should pair nicely with my coffee 😀 Merry Christmas, to you and your beautiful family, Stephanie!
Thanks Diana for the link love!! Hope you guys have a great Christmas and New Year 🙂
We used to always have a breakfast casserole and my moms homemade cinnamon rolls. The last 3 or 4 years we’ve had cinnamon rolls from a can because Christmas is at my house and the kitchen is a completely separate room. This year I’m doing it. I’m making my cinnamon rolls the night before so in the morning i can just throw the pan in the oven while we open presents. Then after they are open and breakfast has been eaten I’m going to cook lunch. Ham in my roaster/slow cooker, veggies in my other slow cooker and potatoes on the stove top homemade rolls in the oven. Christmas 2012 – BRING IT!
Oh my God.. Love this series of recipe round ups you have been doing.. While our Christmas mornings are generally quiet.. There are pancakes and hot chocolate.. I think I will try some pancakes from here for a special touch.. Thank you so much for sharing these! Merry Christmas!
Thanks you so much. I’m working on Christmas and was planning to bring breakfast for my coworkers. I found just what I’m looking for on this list…a variation of a recipe I had forgotten I had.
We loved the apple pie french toast!