To make a superior tomato salad that is full of flavor, buy locally grown tomatoes that are of different shapes, sizes, and colors. This will make the salad visually interesting as well as delicious!
The following tomato salad is a perfect side dish. Alternately, serve as an dinner entree or light lunch with a few mozzarella balls or freshly toasted bread.
Fresh Tomato Salad Recipe
- Cut tomatoes into various sizes; slice some in half and others into quarters.
- Place a colander on top of a bowl. Add tomatoes to colander and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Toss the tomatoes gently and sprinkle another pinch of sea salt over them. Toss again.
- Leave tomatoes to sit for 15 minutes. (This will draw out extra moisture and concentrate the tomato's flavor.)
- Once the 15 minutes has passed, pour out any juice that has accumulated.
- Place the tomatoes into a large bowl and sprinkle oregano over them.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the red wine or balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add the garlic and chili pepper, stir to distribute.
- Drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes to your taste (you may have some leftover). Toss to combine.
- Sprinkle a few sprigs of fresh oregano or basil over the top if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
How do you like to serve tomatoes in the summer?