Basic Whole Wheat Bread
- 1/2 cup water (if you have a Welbit/Dak machine, add 2 Tbsp more water)
- 3/8 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour (I use all whole grain flour, and have done it with wheat and spelt)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey (do the oil first, then the honey, and it will slide so easily off the spoon)
- 2 tsp active dry yeast (they recommend Red Star and I would agree)
- Place all ingredients in bread pan, select Light Crust setting and press start.
- Or, you can do what I have been doing lately, with excellent results, which is to make this bread on a dough cycle, then pull it out, knead very briefly and place it in an oiled pan. Let it rise until doubled (usually less than an hour), and bake in the oven at 375 F for about 30 minutes (I set my timer for 20 and check it, as I've only done this a couple times so far). Bake until nicely browned.
- After baking, remove bread from pan, place on cake rack and allow to cool for 1 hour before slicing (this is good practice whenever baking bread).
Courses Baked Goods
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/two-hearty-whole-grain-bread-recipes/