Whole Grain Bread
Yield 2 loaves
- 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (works well with spelt and pretty good with kamut)
- 1/2 cup oat bran (sometimes I use oat flakes, or half flax seeds, or you could use a grain mix, etc.)
- 3 pks yeast (1 pk= 2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oil
- Combine dry ingredients, using just 4 cups of flour to start. Meanwhile, heat milk with honey and oil on the stove to just warm them.
- Add warmed liquid to dry ingredients and stir well. Add more flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead for 8 min. or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed. Cover and let rest 10 min.
- Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 45 min.
- Bake at 375 F for 35 minutes, until the tops are evenly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Courses Baked Goods
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/two-hearty-whole-grain-bread-recipes/