Southwest Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 2-3 lbs chicken drumsticks OR thighs (or a mix of both)
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (you could also substitute avocado oil
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- Like it hot? You can increase both the cayenne and chili to 1/2 tsp instead of a 1/4 if you prefer a bit more kick. Our family likes only a small amount of heat, but this is an easy adjustment if your family likes things spicy. :)
- Pre-heat your barbecue and get it nice and hot (I usually get mine close to 500 degrees).
- Add oil and all spices and herbs to a bowl and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Put chicken into either a bowl or a ziploc bag (my preference) and add the spice and oil mixture.
- Mix the chicken and spice mixture together until chicken is well coated.
- Put the chicken on the grill and close the lid for about 10 minutes, and turn it down to a lower temperature (mine has a low setting, which is what I switch it over to, and this brings it to around 350).
- Flip chicken (it should have nice grill marks on it at this point) and cook for another 5 minutes. If you’re cooking drumsticks, you may wish to rotate them by a quarter turn a little more frequently for more even cooking.
- Watch chicken as it continues to cook and check for doneness, which will vary depending on how large your pieces are, whether they were fully or only partially thawed, and the temperature of your grill.
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/southwest-grilled-chicken-easy-moist-full-of-flavor/