Slow Cooker Greek Style Chicken
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed and sliced
- 3 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
- 15 oz. fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 2 cups soaked & cooked white beans (or two 14 oz. cans drained & rinsed)
- Optional: Lemon slices and crumbled feta cheese for serving
- Greek Seasoning Mix
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, thyme and sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Lightly coat the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker with olive oil or coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek Seasoning Mix ingredients. Evenly distribute the seasoning mix among the chicken thighs by sprinkling both sides of each thigh with the seasoning mix.
- Place chopped onion and garlic in bottom of slow cooker. Then arrange the seasoned chicken thighs over the onions and drizzle the lemon juice across the top.
- Evenly spoon the tomatoes and olives on top of each chicken thigh.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking time, carefully remove the chicken thighs (tongs work best) and place on a platter. Stir in the beans, if using – otherwise, skip this step. Then carefully add the chicken back to the crockpot and continue cooking.
- When ready to serve, place about a half-cup of rice (or grain-free cauliflower rice) on each plate, if desired. Then place the chicken thighs over the rice with a large ladle or two of the white bean mixture. Garnish with lemon wedges and crumbled feta cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/slow-cooker-greek-style-chicken/