Simple and Fresh Tomato Salad
This recipe is adapted from Jamie Oliver's Mothership Tomato Salad in Jamie at Home.
- 2.2 pounds (1 kilo) Ripe tomatoes of different shapes, sizes, and colors
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dried oregano, a pinch
- 1/8 cup Red wine or Balsamic vinegar
- 3/8 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- Cut tomatoes into various sizes; slice some in half and others into quarters.
- Place a colander on top of a bowl. Add tomatoes to colander and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Toss the tomatoes gently and sprinkle another pinch of sea salt over them. Toss again.
- Leave tomatoes to sit for 15 minutes. (This will draw out extra moisture and concentrate the tomato's flavor.)
- Once the 15 minutes has passed, pour out any juice that has accumulated.
- Place the tomatoes into a large bowl and sprinkle oregano over them.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the red wine or balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add the garlic and chili pepper, stir to distribute.
- Drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes to your taste (you may have some leftover). Toss to combine.
- Sprinkle a few sprigs of fresh oregano or basil over the top if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Courses Side Dish
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/simple-and-fresh-tomato-salad/