Gingerbread Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used a mix of Rapadura and Coconut Sugar, because that's what I had- it worked wonderfully- I think using either one entirely would be great and I'm sure it could also be adapted for use with honey)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 cups flour (wheat is fine, but you can easily substitute spelt or kamut, and possibly other flours)
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and beat. Add molasses. Mix all well.
- Stir flour, baking powder and spices together in a separate bowl.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- Add water mixture and dry ingredients to creamed butter mixture alternatively (a bit of water, a bit of dry, etc.).
- Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes.
(This is not a soaked flour recipe, which is the only kind I usually use. However, it's a rare treat and I needed a cake that was simple to make and guest-pleasing but not entirely unhealthy, so this fit the bill. It could definitely be made with sprouted flour, which would get rid of the issue of the unsoaked flour.)
Courses Desserts and Sweets
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/scrumptious-gingerbread-cake/