Grain-Free Dehydrated Apple Pie
- 2 1/2 cups diced dehydrated apples
- 2 1/2 cups water
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup molasses (not black strap)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the crust: Combine almond flour, cinnamon, and sea salt in a medium-sized bowl. Pour over melted coconut oil and mix until combined. It should be a crumbly texture. Press this into a 9" pie pan and poke all over with a fork. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until just golden brown. Remove and set aside while filling is made.
- Make the filling: Add apples and water to a saucepan and turn the heat on to medium. Bring to a simmer. If you are having a hard time keeping the apples below the water you can place a clean plate on top. Simmer the apples and water for 10-20 minutes, or until apples are tender and have rehydrated. Turn heat down to medium-low and add molasses, sea salt, and cinnamon. Simmer until the filling has thickened nicely. It will not be baked so be sure it is thick enough to stand up in the pie shell.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and let stand until room temperature. Serve warm or refrigerate.
You could substitute honey for the molasses if you are so inclined.
Courses Desserts and Sweets
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/recipe-grain-free-dehydrated-apple-pie-sweetened-with-molasses/