Lentil Vegetable Pottage
- 1 cup dry brown/green lentils
- 5 cups water, stock, or broth (I used homemade chicken broth)
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 3-4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 bouillon cubes or 2 Tbsp of soy sauce or substitute (I added only a bit of a natural bouillon mix that I use, and 1 Tbsp of Bragg's)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 3 tsp dried
- 1 tsp each of sea salt, and basil
- 1/2 tsp. each of dill, oregano, and thyme
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Several dashes sea kelp
- Optional: 1 medium or large red bell pepper, chopped small (I used 1/2 a pepper). I also added 1/2 cup of frozen corn. I also added a half cup of cooked chicken I had on hand.
- Bring the dry lentils, liquid and vegetables (except for red pepper) to a boil on high heat, then simmer for 1 hour on low heat or until the lentils are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer another 15-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, blend 1-2 cups of the soup and return it to the pot for a richer, fuller flavor (I didn't do this, but it would have been good).
Courses Main Course
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/my-diet-a-recipe-and-how-the-flu-wiped-out-my-plan-of-completing-my-schedule/