Scotch Broth Recipe
- 1 lb/ 700 g lamb (I've used ground, and this week I will use chopped lamb that I froze after cooking a large leg of lamb a few weeks ago. I've also substituted ground turkey and it was very good!)
- 6 3/4 cups water (I used half broth)
- scant 1/3 cup pearl barley (any barley works fine, in my experience)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small turnips, finely diced (I've also substituted some parsnip)
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stocks, diced
- 2 leeks, sliced (this week, I've got green onions)
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare meat (cut into small pieces), put into a pot, cover with the water, and bring to a boil, skimming off any scum that rises to surface.
- Add barley, then reduce heat and simmer gently, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add veggies, and season well with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for an additional hour.
- Remove from heat and add parsley before serving.
Courses Main Course
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/menu-plan-mon-3-2/