Mediterranean Summer Salad
- 4 cups cooked and cooled whole grain rice (I use a combination of brown and wild rice, typically leftover from meals like my Salmon & Rice Cakes)
- 2 slicing cucumbers, halved lengthwise and sliced (peeled if the skin is bitter)
- 2 medium slicing tomatoes, cored and cubed
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs, loosely packed (I use a scant 1/2 cup of mixed basils and chopped parsley each, plus a few sprigs of thyme, stripping the leaves)
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cans tuna in olive oil
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon quality sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Combine vegetables, rice, herbs, tuna, and cheese in a large bowl and gently combine thoroughly.
- Drizzle oil and vinegar over top, then sprinkle on salt and pepper. Mix and combine again.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. This can also be mixed up the night before serving.
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/mediterranean-summer-salad/