Bold and Smoky Barbecue Sauce
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil, melted
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the onion in a blender with the water and blend until slushy. An immersible blender makes this especially easy. Strain mixture through a cheesecloth, squeezing it until you obtain 1/2 cup juice.
- Whisk ketchup, onion juice, and other wet ingredients in a medium bowl, omitting oil. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in garlic and spices and cook until fragrant. Whisk in wet ingredient mixture and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until the mixture thickens, about 20-30 minutes. Cool to room temperature before serving.
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/homemade-condiments-for-fantastic-summer-barbecues/