Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup Replacement
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached, white flour (or whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: 1/2 cup sliced onions or shallots.
- Place butter in a small saucepan and melt over medium heat. If using onions or shallots, add to the butter and sauté until soft. Once butter has melted (and onions are soft, if using), add the flour.
- Continue to cook, stirring rapidly with a whisk, until the mixture is thick and slightly bubbly. Don't let the butter turn brown.
- Add the chicken stock and whisk to combine. Add the milk and whisk again.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper to taste. This will keep for a couple days in the fridge, but it's generally best to use the day it's made.
Adaptions:Cream of celery: Slice a stalk of celery into thin pieces and sauté in the butter before adding flour. Once soft, add flour and proceed as described above.Cream of mushroom: Chop 3-5 mushrooms into small pieces. Sauté mushrooms in butter before adding flour. Once soft, add flour and proceed as described above.Gluten-Free: Use arrowroot flour or white rice flour in place of the wheat flour.
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/homemade-canned-soup-replacement/