Incredibly Yummy Homemade Egg Nog
*Inspired by the Egg Nog recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook*
- 6 beaten egg yolks (free range is best)
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk (raw, if available)
- 1/3 cup unrefined sugar, like Rapadura or Sucanat (I bet Coconut/Palm sugar would also work, though I haven't tried it)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream (avoid ultra-pasteurized)
- 2 Tbsp unrefined sugar, or 1 Tbsp honey, or a few drops or maybe 1/2 packet of Stevia (just enough to add a touch of sweetness)
- Ground nutmeg
(Note: You may want to begin the recipe the day before you want the egg nog- it's an easy recipe, but does need time to chill properly)
- In a medium pot, mix the egg yolks, milk and the 1/3 cup sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture just coats a metal spoon (see photo). Remove from heat. Place pot in a sink or bowl of ice water and stir for 2 minutes to cool mixture off a little. Stir in vanilla. Cover and chill for 4-24 hours.
- When you're ready to serve: Beat the whipping cream and 2 Tbsp of sugar (or sugar alternative) until soft peaks form.
- Transfer the chilled egg/milk/sugar mixture to a punch bowl. Fold in the whipped cream. Serve immediately. Sprinkle each serving with nutmeg. If you find it a little too thick or too sweet, simply stir in a bit of milk to thin it out.
Makes about 10 small (4 oz) serving, or 5-6 larger servings.
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/healthy-holiday-recipes-incredibly-yummy-homemade-egg-nog/