Chana Dal Indian Curry with Winter Greens
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6-8 large cloves garlic, grated
- 3-inch piece ginger root, peeled and grated OR 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups stewed, diced tomatoes (1 15-oz can)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (1 15-oz can)
- 3 cups cooked garbanzo beans (2 15-oz cans), drained
- 1 large bunch winter greens (curly kale, Tuscan kale, Swiss chard, collard greens, etc), semi-finely chopped
- Spice Mix
- 1 tablespoon garam masala -> how to make homemade garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole fenugreek seed (optional)
- Make the spice mix. Include powdered ginger, if using. Set aside. (This step can be done the night before in order to make dinner prep even quicker.)
- Chop the onions and set aside. Grate the garlic and ginger and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium high until bubbling.
- Add the onions and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant, another 30-60 seconds. Add the spice mix and sauté again until fragrant, 30-60 seconds.
- Pour in the tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add in the garbanzo beans and return to a simmer. This may be served immediately or left to simmer for up to 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- About 5 minutes before serving, stir in the chopped greens and cook until slightly wilted. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Serve over rice, diced potatoes, or with flatbread.
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/clean-eating-chana-dal-stew-winter-greens-aka-delicious-frugal-meal-youve-ever-made/