Chewy Gingersnaps Recipe
Yield 3 -4 dozen
- 3 cups almonds (best if they are soaked/dehydrated first)
- 1/2 cup butter (pastured) and 1/2 cup coconut oil (if you're completely dairy free, skip the butter and use all coconut oil)
- 1 cup Sucanat or Rapadura
- 3 Tbsp blackstrap molasses (look for one without sulphites- I like Wholesome Sweeteners)
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups arrowroot powder
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Grind up your almonds in a food processor until ground into a fine meal. You may be able to get a better (finer) texture if you do it in two batches, instead of being impatient like me and dumping them all in at once.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, coconut oil and sugar together. Add molasses and egg until well mixed.
- Add arrowroot powder and all spices, salt and baking soda. Keep mixing until everything is well incorporated, and the dough forms a thick but soft ball.
- Grease your cookie sheets. Make small balls of dough about the size of a cherry tomato. Roll lightly in your hands, and place on cookie sheet, flattening them slightly with your hand (don't worry too much about this- they will mostly flatten themselves during baking).
- Bake for 20 minutes at 300 F. Allow to rest on cookie sheets for 10-20 minutes before transferring to wire cooling trays.
Courses Desserts and Sweets
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/chewy-gingersnaps-no-gluten-no-grains-no-dairy/