Cabbage Roll Casserole
Yield 4 -6
- 1 lb ground beef (and if you like, a bit of extra ground liver- see below)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 cups cooked brown rice (optional)
- 2 cans/jars (pint or 398 ml) tomato sauce, or 1 of sauce and 1 of diced tomatoes
- 1 small (5.5 oz) can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Dash of chili or cayenne pepper
- 8 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry up the ground beef with a bit of oil, the onions and the garlic. Personally, I like to add a bit of ground liver to this dish as well. You can't even notice it's in there. I pre-cook mine and store it in 1/2 cup amounts in the freezer. Yes, the L is for liver. :)
- If you're adding rice, mix it in with the beef/onion/garlic mixture now (we leave it out since we're grain free right now, and it turns out just fine without it, but rice is a frugal and nutritious filler, tastes great and would help to make this meal stretch further). Add one beaten egg to the mixture and combine well.
- In a bowl or pot, combine tomato sauce (and canned tomatoes, if using) and tomato paste. Stir in apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, pepper and chili or cayenne.
- Chop about 8 cups of cabbage coarsely. I find that this is about 1/2 to 2/3 of a large cabbage. I like using green, but purple would be just fine, too.
- In a large casserole dish, begin to layer- cabbage on bottom, meat/rice mixture, then drizzle with tomato sauce. Repeat all layers a second time. End with an extra layer of cabbage and sauce on the top.
- Cover and bake at 350 for about 1 hour.
Courses Main Course
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/cabbage-roll-casserole-a-tasty-way-to-get-your-family-to-eat-more-cabbage/