Mushroom Soup with Herbs
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds wild or domestic mushrooms, preferably shiitake or porcini, although crimini can be used, sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, or brown rice flour
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil or butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes, or until very soft.
- Add the red wine vinegar and cook for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and continue cooking, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add the stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the soup thickens slightly.
- Add the optional sour cream, sage, thyme, and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
If you cannot find shiitake or porcini mushrooms to use in this recipe, brown crimini mushrooms can be substituted, as well as combining some shiitake and crimini. Please make an effort to buy organic mushrooms, or even better, locally grown. Conventional mushrooms are frequently treated with fungicides (ironic, I know).
Recipe by Keeper of the Home at https://keeperofthehome.org/boosting-your-immunity-mushroom-soup-with-herbs/